This paper presents a research agenda for journalists, activists, and reformers, highlighting the biggest issues regarding how money really works in our political system, what its effects are, and how that's changing in the post-Citizens United era aside from the soaring top-line numbers.
- Has money affected competition?
- Does money affect polarization?
- Do broadcast ads matter as much as they used to?
- Have corporations changed their behavior?
- Are there downsides to SuperPACs and other outside-money vehicles?
- Do small donors still matter?
- Can small-donor reforms withstand outside money?
- Is reform finished as a bipartisan project?
- Does the public care?
Flag and dollar image via Shutterstock.com.